Position: Resource Mobilisation Consultant
Location: New York/ Washington DC/San Francisco Bay Area
Start Date: October 15
Full time/part time: Part Time
Organization: Akili Dada
About Akili Dada
Akili Dada is an international award winning leadership incubator cultivating transformative leadership in a generation of young African women. Our leadership development programs create the foundation on which young women ages 13-35 acquire the necessary skills to access key decision- making roles and leadership positions. By selecting from, and building the capacity of some of Africa’s most innovative young women, we are meeting the urgent need for both more African women in leadership, as well as the overall need for creative leadership that holds justice at its core.
Vision: We envision a world in which African women leaders are actively participating in key decision-making processes across sectors.
Mission: To nurture transformative leadership in girls and young women from underprivileged backgrounds to meet the urgent need for more African women in leadership.
Akili Dada seeks an accomplished development professional to lead efforts to plan and execute a comprehensive and successful fundraising strategy which will include campaigns, organizing and implementing events, grant writing, and the identification and stewardship of major donors. Akili Dada has a strong foundation of supporters, and is looking to get into new spaces for the purposes of both fundraising for her work in Kenya and awareness raising on African women’s leadership.
Akili Dada is located in Nairobi, Kenya, but this position will be US based in New York, DC or the San Francisco Bay Area.
Key aspects of the job include:
- Writing grant proposals
- Stewarding donors
- Assisting Executive Director with donor introductions, meetings, and organizing events during her U.S. visits.
- Build upon existing relationships to continue and increase current support
- Identify, cultivate and solicit new prospects in order to increase the level of support for Akili Dada.
- Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Fundraising and donor relations:
- Lead individual fundraising efforts, conduct effective stewardship of current donors (four and five figure gifts) and develop customized strategies for the cultivation and stewardship of new donors;
- Design and draft online and written fundraising appeals
- Draft and submit grant proposals
- Identify and set up meetings with donors for Executive Director when in she’s in the U.S., providing background information on donors;
- Conduct in-depth research on potential prospects;
- Work on increasing planned gifts;
- Work with Akili Dada’s communication team to develop donor materials;
- Draft personalized acknowledgement correspondence for donors;
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date donor files and records in Salesforce;
- Plan and execute events such as house parties and happy hours to raise funds and grow awareness of Akili Dada’s work.
- Effectively communicate Akili Dada’s mission and represent the organization’s culture and work to external stakeholders;
- Represent Akili Dada at relevant events;
- Prepare regular updates on Akili Dada’s work and impact to share with current supporters and prospects;
- Identify and set up public speaking and interview opportunities for Akili Dada’s Executive Director;
- Strong commitment to the mission of Akili Dada;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the needs and issues of girls’ education and young women leadership globally;
- Proven, successful track record in securing gifts and stewarding individuals
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, with the ability to work autonomously and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills;
- Self-motivated and disciplined, with a strong ability to manage and oversee multiple tasks;
- Strong project management and planning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Some travel required approximately one month, must be able to travel to Kenya (first trip is November 2015).
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends during Akili Dada events and US visits (2x/year)
New York or DC or San Francisco Bay Area
To apply, send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 5th, 2015.