Director – Young Changemakers Program
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
Applications Due: October 15 2013
About Akili Dada
Akili Dada is an international award-winning leadership incubator nurturing a generation of young African women from underprivileged backgrounds whose commitment to the underserved will transform their communities. Founded in 2006, our leadership development curriculum creates the foundation on which young women ages 13-35 build their skills and earn the essential qualifications they need to access key decision-making roles and leadership positions. By selecting from, and building the capacity of, some of Kenya’s most innovative young women change-makers, we are meeting the urgent need for both more Kenyan women in leadership, as well as the overall need for transformative leadership across the African continent. Read more about Akili Dada at http://www.akilidada.org
About the Young Changemakers Program and the Position
We are looking to recruit a dynamic and energetic individual to serve as Director to our Young Changemakers Program. Akili Dada’s Young Changemakers Program focuses on our investments in young women between 13 and 20 years of age. As a flagship of Akili Dada’s work, the program, among other activities, administers Akili Dada’s scholarship program, coordinates Akili Dada clubs at our partner high schools, and manages Akili Dada’s relationship with hundreds of women who have volunteered to serve as mentors. The position reports to, and works closely with, the Executive Director.
You are a great fit for this position if you:
- Have a heart for girls’ empowerment and your values closely align with those of Akili Dada.
- Are Kenyan citizen or are already legally allowed to work in Kenya.
- Have 3-4 years experience in managing programs in the nonprofit sector especially focusing on girls, women’s rights, education, youth or community mobilization.
- Are an experienced and enthusiastic community-builder able to engage our existing mentors and recruit new mentors.
- Are well-organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented and capable of working well with and managing others.
- Have the ability to plan and budget for program activities.
- Are tech savvy and have experience engaging with social media.
- Are outgoing, articulate, a strong writer with strong proposal writing skills.
- Are passionate about raising awareness and mobilizing resources for a cause.
- Have at least an undergraduate degree.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conceptualizing and implementing activities targeting Akili Dada’s high school scholars including mentoring, leadership development and leadership skills building forums.
- Managing Akili Dada’s scholarship recruitment process.
- Engaging our current group of mentors and recruiting new women to join our cohort of volunteer mentors.
- Contributing to institutional fundraising efforts including the diversification of the organization’s revenue streams.
- Contributing to the organization’s policy research and advocacy efforts.
- Identifying potential areas of collaboration between Akili Dada and various stakeholders such as women’s rights organizations across Africa and internationally.
- Monitoring and evaluating the Young Changemakers program activities.
This is a full time position (40 hours per week) with a competitive remuneration package which includes health and life insurance, retirement benefits as well as an allowance for your own professional development. True to our mission, Akili Dada believes in investing in the leadership development of our own staff in a nurturing, collaborative and supportive environment. The expected start date is December 1 2013.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter addressed to the Executive Director detailing your interest in and qualifications for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 15 2013. Please be sure to include “Director – Young Changemakers Program” in the subject line of your email. Young women are especially encouraged to apply.